I decided to walk though the traditional market once again and take some more pictures for your enjoyment.
I don't think I've mentioned the beggars I've seen here--only a few for a city of this size. All of them were elderly or handicapped. I've seen two men without legs pulling themselves along the ground on creepers with boxes for money in front of them. I've also seen a couple of elderly women lying on the stair landings of the subway with boxes in front of them.
Anyway off to the subway where I thought maybe I'd go into Songnae and do what I had planned for Monday. But again I changed my mind. Subway map in hand I decided to try to find the 63 Building on my own. Jen had mentioned this building and I had found it listed in the top 10 things to see in Seoul. It's the tallest building in Seoul at 63 stories although 3 of these are underground. It houses a wax museum, and imax threater, and SeaWorld. Since I had left so early that morning I decided I had time and I might as well be adventureous on my last day. I took the rapid subway to Daebang station. I thought I had read to go out Exit 6 to catch the bus to the 63 building so out exit 6 I went and there I found the bus waiting. (Interesting side note: sometimes the signs say, "Exit" and sometimes they say, "Way Out.)
The first stop the bus made was another subway station. It told of this stop in several languages the last of which is English. Unfortunately, that was the only English. So I started searching the skyline for a tall building. I thought I maybe saw it but the bus had already stopped and didn't stop again for several blocks on several different streets. I figured I could always ride the entire loop again. Several stops later almost everyone got off the bus at this one stop. I had looked out the window and didn't see any tall buildings but I did see a covered bus stop labeled 63 Building so I jumped off the bus at the last minute. I scanned the skyline again and still didn't see anything that looked like it might be the 63 Building. While waiting for another bus I did find a neighborhood map on a post. According to this map the 63 Building was right across the street from me. I check the other side of this sign and again it looked like it was right across the street. So I crossed the street and walked a bit. Sure enough I found a revolving door that said 63 Square so in I went. I was very impressed with myself.
I walked all around that floor. There were food courts and boutiques. There was an information counter where I found an English brochure. I decided to visit the art gallery on the 60th floor (the top floor) so I purchased a ticket and got a ride in the glass elevator with a view. It went too fast to take any pictures though.
The museum was interesting. Some of the art was very nice but the view out the windows was even better. It was drizzling rain so it would have been even better on a clear day but I still really enjoyed it.
Back down the elevator I went to see what else I could find. There was a wax museum on one of the lower floors but apparently it wasn't open. They did have this display of Elvis in the lobby. A very bad impression of Elvis I might add.
I decided it was still pretty early so I bought a ticket for 63 Sea World. I don't know if this is the same Sea World as here but I would doubt it. It wasn't nearly as big and I didn't see any shows. First stop was the penguins. I didn't realize how small some of the penguins are--probably less than 12"--but they had larger penguins too. My pictures didn't come out great but here are a few.
Jen had told me about Doctor Fish. Apparently there's a place in Korea where you can go and have these fish eat all the dead skin off your feet. These didn't do your feet but your fingers. It was a very interesting feeling having them nibble at you. It made me giggle which made the other visitors giggle at me.
After Sea World I decided to walk around the outside of the building because I had seen a fountain and a sculpture from the 60th floor.
I made my way back to the subway station and home without getting lost. Still no power in the apartment but the truck was still working outside so I decided to take a quick nap before walking to Jen's school where I was to meet her at 6.
No comments:
Post a Comment